Monday, June 8, 2009

Riding for a Reason

June 6, 2009

Many of you know that a year ago I took up cycling and have loved it. I train all though the spring to get ready for the Little Red Riding Hood. This is an all women (2,600 riders) ride which raises money for cancer research. Having had a sister go through cancer and make it through all the treatments, I figure I can make it 80 miles for her. It started Friday night in Wellsville where Josh, Huntyr and I went to pick up the packet and have dinner at their Hawaiian Luai. It was a fun atmospher with all the people from all over the US, Canada and even some from France. I was shocked. They have all different miles you can ride. The 80's ladies got to start at 8:30 so of course I was there bright and early saturday morning by 8:00 just to get all ready to head out.

You start in Wellsville and then head to Mendon, Cache Junction, Newton, Clarkston, Cornish and Lewiston where they serve you lunch. I was only able to stay there about 20 minutes then I took off for the end. Through Lewiston, Trenton, Newton, Benson, Logan (10th west) then head back to Mendon and then finally back to Wellsville. 80 miles in 5.5 hours, I beat my goal from last year by 2 hours and only stopping once. There were so many times I wanted to stop and call Josh to come and get me. I remembered all those times I'm sure Kandi wanted to stop doing Chemo Treatments but she kept it up.

Thanks to the awesome support team I had for this race, it was awesome to finish my goal of 80 miles and see everyone at the finish line waiting, what a support team I have. love you guys. For a few more pictures and more details, visit my sisters blog http://kandikorner.blogspot.com/


Quick stop in Lewiston for Lunch, my mom and I, just chilling.
I had my lunch, but man couldn't hardly even eat anything except those oranges and bananna's

Made it to the finish line


My sister Kandi and I


you can't tell but I'm bending over so Huntyr can drink out of my camel pak, he loves to drink from that straw

11 little notes:

Charee B Mcclellan said...

i really am soo proud of you..it was awesome to be able to see all of the bikers coming down our road...i wish at that time i knew you were in it and i would have gone out to the street like kandy...congrats you are awesome!

The Green Family said...

i looked for you while driving to visit my grandparents in Weston. Next year wear something fun so you stand out - i saw one lady wearing a grass skirt and coconut bra! Congrats on the Huge accomplishment!!

Daybell's said...

WOW chicka boo! You are an amazing person. I know for a fact you mean as much to Kandi as she does to you. You are so lucky to have each other! Congratulations!

~Kandi said...

Amazing is all I can say about you. You rock. I am lucky to have such a wonderful sister

Love from the Sista

Ariana said...

Way to go! That is awesome.

Trisha said...

That is awesome! I can't wait to get on my bike again...it might be awhile for that though!

Unknown said...

Way to go! You are a rockstar!

Haylee Munk Brown said...

You are awesome!! That is all I can say. That is such a long way to ride, and it is great that you could do that for such a good cause!

Ari Anna Johnson said...

I found you! It was fun to see all the fun things you guys have been up to! Good job on the bike ride!!!!!

Meg said...

You go girl!!!!! I wish I could go! I am a loser..and haven't ran sense we played soccer together all those many years ago! I should try it some time. I love your blog! It is fun to check in I will cut and paste your site...I love ya Chica!!!!

Mandie said...

U R my hero!!!! That is so awesome, you rock girl. Next time tell me about it I would love to be at the finish line waiting for you.